Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sleepless


I had trouble sleeping last night. I always get anxious before a big trip. I also woke up at 5:30 am...crazy! I could have slept until 10am. I will probably not get any sleep on the plane tonight. I will be taking care of Jessica. Jess is almost 18 years old and has autism. She is deathly afraid of flying. She loves Thailand but it's very stressful getting there. I could use your prayers. Some of the best days of my life were spent in Thailand. Jessica was so healthy because of days and days of sunshine and swimming. She comes out of her hiding place and is with us. I guess only another parent of an autistic child can really understand what a gift this is...to have your child with you. It is so hard getting her there, but so worth the trip when she finally interacts with the whole family. We are looking forward to these days of bonding. We will eat every meal together, and swim everyday together. We will read books together, and play cards. Vacations are not just rest, vacations are serious work. A vacation can build up a family. We want our family to be strong. These days are very important and I'm very grateful for this opportunity. I just pray for peace. Our flight leaves at 11pm, and it's a direct over night flight. I'm pretty sure most of the family will sleep. I would give Jessica something to help her sleep, but that has only had an opposite effect on her in the past. So I will hold her hand literally the entire fight (10 1/2 hours). She has special head phones that block noise. She has her new laptop computer with all her favorite movies on it. We will get through it. I will probably have an easy time getting over the jet lag because of my lack of sleep. I will probably post from Bangkok. Until then thank you for your prayers.


“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” - St. Augustine

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you had a safe trip and that Jessica was able to sleep on the plane :-) I hope I read about more wonderful days soon!

    ReplyDelete